Do you love the look and feel of an older home but want the customization, amenities and square footage that come with a new custom built home? What if we told you that you could have it all? At Hughes-Edwards we specialize in building custom homes that are a perfect fit for each individual family and their design style and aesthetic. Using reclaimed building materials in our builds is one of the ways we make your new home truly custom. If you are looking to add vintage charm to your new construction home you might want to consider incorporating some of these salvaged building materials into your home.
Here is our top 5 reclaimed materials list:
- Fireplace Mantels- Vintage mantels can be left with the original patina or painted or stained to fit your new home design.
- Doors- Reclaimed doors on a steel roller track are a coveted design feature on home decor websites like Houzz and Pinterest.
- Corbels- Salvaged corbels can add character under your extended breakfast bar under the kitchen countertop.
- Stained Glass Windows- Instant vintage charm and privacy is achieved by using stained glass windows in your bathroom.
- Barnwood- Reclaimed barnwood is perfect for wainscoting, creating a feature wall or building custom cabinetry.
All of the above items are readily available on Craigslist, Habitat for Humanity Home Stores and from Building Salvage companies in Middle Tennessee. Some of our favorite stores for finding vintage building supplies are Preservation Station in Nashville and Southern Accents in Cullman Alabama. Also a great place to score unique items is the Nashville Flea Market held on the 4th weekend of each month at the Nashville Fairgrounds. In many cases, by building with salvaged materials, you can save money from your building allocation budget and use the savings to splurge in other places like flooring, lighting or appliances.
If you would like more information on how building a new home with Hughes-Edwards Builders can have both vintage charm and new construction appeal we would love to talk to you. Please fill out the form below or give us a call at 615-824-6970. [contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Phone’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]