If you’re like most of us, you want the best-looking home on the block. Now that we’re creeping into warmer temperatures and people will be spending more time outside, it’s time to start getting ready for spring.
The Springtime Outdoor Maintenance Checklist
1. Conduct mower maintenance. Now is the time to check the air filter and spark plug on your mower, as well as to drain any leftover gas from last year. Sharpen the blades (it’s a good idea to have a professional help) and make sure you clear out any yard debris that will get in the way the first time you mow.
2. Check your roof. You don’t need to climb on the roof to determine whether there’s any shingle-shift, cracked or missing shingles, or nail pops.
3. Do a walk-through to search for leaks around windows. Make sure all the caulking and weather stripping is intact. You could end up letting all the cool air escape when you turn on the air conditioner and put your home at risk for water damage, as well.
4. Have your A/C looked at by a professional. Calling out an HVAC expert is a great idea; he or she will change the filters, check hose connections and make sure everything is in good working order.
5. Check the deck. Make sure you don’t have any loose, warped or damaged boards. At the same time, force loose leaves and debris all the way through the gaps between boards—you don’t want anything festering in there that could damage your deck.
6. Plant veggies and flowers. Even if you’re not graced with a green thumb, now is the perfect time to start planting. Some edibles are ideal for springtime planting, including:
Decorative flowers that thrive in spring include zinnia, twinspur and impatiens hybrids.
Ready to Move into a New Custom Home?
Hughes-Edwards Builders can create the home of your dreams. Have a look through our gallery of Middle Tennessee custom homes and discover how we can help you give your dream a home. We even do extensive renovations if you’re not quite ready to build a home from the ground up.
Call us at 615-824-6970 or contact us online. We’d love to hear your plans.[gravityform id=”9″ title=”true” description=”true”]