We all want our home-buying process to be smooth, problem-free and painless. Who wouldn’t? There are some really common mistakes that homebuyers make, though. Fortunately, they’re preventable… as long as you know what they are.
7 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Custom Home
Nobody wants their home to become an inconvenience (particularly when you’re trying to sell in the future). However, there are a few things that unknowing buyers step into that can spell big trouble down the line.
- Building a home that’s “too unique.” While your preferences are unique, just like your personality, your home shouldn’t be so one-of-a-kind that buyers won’t see its value if you decide to sell down the road.
- Building a big, boring house. We know… we just told you not to be too unique. That doesn’t mean your home should be absent of character and personality, though. Don’t worry—we can help you come up with the perfect plan for your dream house.
- Forgetting about the outside. You’re hiring a professional builder to make your house a home, but with outdoor living a hot commodity, you might want to hire a landscape architect to make sure the outside is just right, too.
- Adding under-utilized (or unutilized) rooms to your floor plan. You should certainly create a space for guests if you’re a frequent entertainer, and if you’re like many people, you could use a home office—but focus on getting quality space rather than quantity space and you’ll be happier in the long run.
- Overlooking green features to cut corners. Frankly, most green features are similar in price to non-green features. Remember, if you ever decide to sell, people tend to view “green” homes more favorably.
- Choosing the wrong location. You need a location that meets your needs. Whether you want to be in a neighborhood where summer BBQs are weekly events or you’d like to be closer to nature, it’s important that you take into account what’s around your options and what will be there in the future.
- Rushing through the process. This is your home, and it needs to reflect your personal choices. While it’s exciting to buy a custom home in Middle Tennessee, you should take the time to ensure you’re making the right decisions. There’s no need to rush through the planning stages; you’ll be moving in before you know it.
Let’s Talk About Your New Custom Home
We specialize in helping buyers create the homes of their dreams, and we can do the same for you.
Call us at 615-824-6970 or contact Hughes-Edwards Builders online when you’re ready to tell us about your dreams. We’ll work hard to make them a reality.[gravityform id=”9″ title=”true” description=”true”]