Before the first snow falls, you need to do a handful of things to make sure your beautiful custom home is winter-ready. Even if your home is brand-new, it’s a good idea to run through this late fall home maintenance checklist to make sure everything is properly prepped for the cold months ahead.
Home Maintenance Checklist:
- Replace your air filter. Most HVAC air filters need to be replaced every two to three months, so now is as good a time as any. (Make sure the unit is off before you replace the filter.
- Think about removing the screens on your windows. You’ll let more light in during the winter without screens, but they’ll be fine if you leave them in, as well.
- Check all of your weather stripping. It’s easy to damage weather stripping; many people accidentally tear it while they’re moving in and don’t even realize it. It can make a huge difference in your home’s energy efficiency, so don’t forget to check each door (including the garage door).
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. Fall leaves can wreak havoc on your gutters and downspouts, so now is a great time to get them all out. Use your garden hose to rinse out small pieces of debris and make sure everything is draining properly.
- Winterize your lawn equipment. Make sure you’ve run your equipment out of gas or add a fuel stabilizer to keep it fresh while you’re storing it for the winter. Change the oil and the air filter so you’re ready when the snow thaws.
What Are We Forgetting?
Late fall is also the perfect time to plan your dream home if you’re not already living in one that we’ve built. Check out our extensive luxury home photo gallery to get inspired, and when you’re ready, call us at 615-824-6970 or fill out the form below.[gravityform id=”9″ name=”Contact Us”]